His email is below. We were debating one of Omega’s State of the Union Speeches (AKA “long list of lies”):
First, it has been a while since I have been lulled to sleep by un-sourced, easily debunkable, right wing talking points (which I like to refer to them as lemming points). So, I want to say thanks. I would prefer to debate actual issues and topics that have merit, but the following will do, due to the deficit of merit based issues on the right.
Second, I am not calling YOU stupid, just some of your opinions are laced in stupidity. So it is nothing on you; it is just that I would not have sent them out myself.
Now, I assume you wanted me to address the points you got from your daddy, so I will. Trust me, these were softballs.
.Obama will fix the deficit by spending more money.
– Factually (because you know I like facts and pictures) overall government spending has plateaued under President Obama after rising sharply under George W. Bush and during Obama’s first year in office, when the economic recovery act went into effect. In fact, (there’s that word again) the reduction in growth of spending under Obama is unprecedented in the last half-century, and government spending under Obama is growing at the slowest rate since Dwight Eisenhower was president.
.Obama will fix high unemployment by raising the minimum wage, thereby increasing the cost of employing people in the highest-unemployed group.
– To say to people that we, as a nation, cannot provide a family with a livable wage is criminal – particularly when those taxpayers bailed out the very corporations that are raping them. It is criminal as well when corporate returns are at record highs, corporate CEO profits are at record highs, Wall Street is setting astonishing records, interest rates for banks are 0% – but those same criminals can’t pay a livable wage. Please, spare me.
.Obama will grow the economy by taxing energy, putting more pollution regulations on businesses, and shoveling the money to cronies in the alt-energy racket.
– This one is such a lies, I can’t even believe you put this on the list. Who are the cronies? Perhaps you don’t remember the days of Nixon putting the EPA together, and then neutered it. A brief rehash: California smog was spreading east, acid rain was a crisis, sulfur and phosphorus were setting lakes on fire, lead-based paint and leaded fuel were making children retarded, etc. Corporations knew, but who would stop the pollution. Honestly, I agree with you, more children should ingest mercury, manganese and cesium and breathe arsenic and germanium – there are too many people on this planet anyway.
.Obama has made college more affordable, but more must be done because of skyrocketing tuition prices (you can’t make this stuff up).
– You mean the President controls the price of college?! That is new to me. What a great country we have where the president controls the prices of state owned institutions. WOW! I gotta trust you if you say he is doing this. And to think I had the tax payers to pay for mine.
.Obama will protect future generations by racking up trillions of dollars in debt they will have to pay for.
– In actuality, Republicans stated that “All further deficit reduction must come from budget cuts, primarily from entitlement programs.” That, however, would spare the broad category of tax deductions, exclusions, credits, and other tax preferences known collectively as “tax expenditures” — which disproportionately benefit well-to-do Americans and which Alan Greenspan has termed as “tax entitlements” — while putting the onus entirely on spending programs, which disproportionately benefit middle- and lower-income Americans. So, put the blame where it should be. But, don’t believe me, check it out. Google is free.
.Obama will encourage fatherhood by making it easier for people to raise children on their own.
-This one makes no sense. I’m going to go out on a limb and say this bullet is “Stupid.” Not YOU, the bullet.
.Obama will work to foster bipartisanship by threatening to use executive orders to do what he wants if Congress won’t agree with him.
– Yep, he is the first President to use executive orders. None of the others used them. No wonder congress has a 9% approval rating – it’s because of all of those executive orders.
.Obama will work to remove loopholes and exemptions that big corporations use to lower their tax burden, while providing ‘targeted incentives’ to big corporations that do his bidding.
– Which companies are those, so I can invest in them for the next 4-yrs. Is this from the same people that said the President should stop targeting “millionaires and billionaires?” tax expenditures disproportionately benefit the most well-off. The most affluent 20 percent of Americans receive 66 percent of all tax expenditure benefits (the richest 1 percent alone getting 24 percent of the benefits), while the middle 60 percent of households received just 31 percent of the benefits. And did you know that borrowing by American small businesses increased in December?
.Obama will work to encourage entrepreneurship and individual achievement by creating large government/industry ‘hubs’ that will give the largest, most connected companies an advantage over individuals and small businesses.
– You mean all those Please educate me on this one; this one is REALLY made up. Seriously, fill me in on this – with facts and data though, that’s what I prefer in a discussion.
.Recognizing that the natural gas boom (which he opposed) has been a major driver of what little economic growth there has been, Obama will support it by increasing taxes on that industry and using the money to create a giant government slush fund that will be used for political patronage, paying off states that toe the administration line.
– Again, fill me in, please. However, since my degrees are in science, I do know this. Certain tax credits (the feed-in tariff or carbon tax, the renewable energy production tax (PTC) and business energy investment tax credit (ITC) will create an incentive for renewable and new sources of energy and competition. And for those companies that can’t compete and have been siphoning off the public tit for so long, then welcome to capitalism 101.
.Proving that time travel exists, Obama has gone back to 2009 and resurrected the ‘shovel ready infrastructure’ stimulus plan that worked so well the first time.
– What was the Republican plan again? The ARRA, If I remember correctly, (and please correct me if I am in error) did the following: (According to CBO) saved between 300,000 and 2 million jobs, with it reached its jobs peaked in 2010′s third quarter, where it saved an estimated 3.6 million jobs; Raised real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product (GDP) by between 0.2 percent and 1.5 percent (you have to agree, that is impressive during a depression),Lowered the unemployment rate by between 0.2 percentage points and 1.1 percentage points; Increased the number of people employed by between 0.3 million and 2.0 million; Increased the number of full-time-equivalent jobs by 0.4 million to 2.6 million; in 2012 it raised the GDP by between 0.1 percent and 0.8 percent and will increase the number of people employed by between 0.2 million and 1.1. Million.
Again, what was the republican plan?
.Obama will help women in the workplace by passing the ‘paycheck fairness act’ which will embroil those who hire women in red tape. He will foster unity in the workplace by having workers disclose their pay to each other, which we all know will lead to a sense of mutual respect and community on the job.
– Well, he did win the overall woman vote by a margin of 11% (and that includes Republican women) of voting women. With the continued War on Women going on, I suspect that that margin will grow. However, I’m no psychic – just a pretty good betting man. Keep the Republican talking point going PLEASE – NO on the Lilly Leadbetter Act and NO on the Violence Against Women’s Act. Thanks Republicans!
.Remember the removal of loopholes and special tax breaks that are highly unfair? That was SO 15 minutes ago. Obama will offer special loopholes and tax incentives for companies that hire ‘disadvantaged’ workers, and who ‘invest’ in the right towns.
– Did you know those “disadvantage workers were Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines?” I guess not, then you probably would have left this bullet out too.
.Democracy is so important that it’s intolerable that people might need to wait a few hours in line to vote. The voting process is so sacrosanct that it would be crazy to require proof of citizenship or anything else that might make people have to wait a bit in line.
– Yep, I’m going to add this one to the S category as well. Doesn’t even require me to address it. No wonder Republicans lost Florida.
.Gabby Giffords needs to have a vote on gun control. So does Newtown, and families across America. I know what you’re thinking: Isn’t that what elections are for? Didn’t they just vote a few months ago? No, in Obama’s America a ‘vote’ means being used as a political pawn to drive through legislation that was explicitly rejected by those other voters – the ones that don’t count because they didn’t agree with President Obama. Clearly some new voters are required. That’s Democracy in the Obama era.
– THIS ONE IS REALLY STUPID. Come On Man!